Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Loyalty (or my lack thereof)

Many artists like to use sketching tools they are familiar with and stick to a particular brand. Not me. Rather than staying loyal to a single manufacturer, I like to try different brands and their product lines, especially with pencils and pens. Some of the brands that I use are Cretacolor, Faber Castell, Tombo, Stabilo, Conte and Derwent, to name a few. All are top quality names and give excellent results in their own unique way. This makes for a nice change of pace when I am sketching and would like a different look and feel to my work. 

Sometimes I also like to combine pencils when I sketch. For instance, when using a toned paper, I’ll make the base sketch in a Derwent Coloursoft pencil, deepen the shading with a Faber Castell Polychromos pencil, and add lights with a Cretacolor white pastel pencil. For the next one, I might use my General’s graphite sticks or charcoal pencils for a looser look. Occasionally I’ll ink a sketch. For that I use my Micron or Staedtler liner pens in black, sepia or brown.



Using more than one type of pencil can also give your sketchbook or journal an individual look for each entry. You won't have to see the same style each time you turn a page, especially if you use different colors or shades of black/gray.

If you find your sketches getting stale or simply want a different look when you’re doodling, head out to your local art store and pick up a couple of new pencils or pens and start experimenting. Let me know what you get or if you have any questions or need suggestions. Keep filling up those sketchbooks!


Richard Huante Design & Illustration
 

No comments:

Post a Comment